As you have probably heard by now, HR 1837 has passed the House of Representatives, despite strong opposition during the debate by pro-Delta leaders like Congressmen Jerry McNerney, John Garamendi, George Miller and others. This bill would allow for full pumping of water exports at the Delta pumps, take control of our water away from the state moving it to the Federal level, strip away water rights from Delta area landowners, and dismember the San Joaquin River Restoration Act – a component of Delta restoration. Goodbye salmon and bass, ducks and geese.
Fortunately, California senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer oppose the legislation, making its prospects beyond the House uncertain. And the Obama administration last week indicated the president would veto the legislation if it gets that far.
The Bill comes before the Senate sometime this week. Let’s hope it is squashed there.
I found these interesting stories/links about the Bill on the California Water Impact (www.c-win.org) website:
- Dan Bacher- Corporate Welfare Republicans Vote to Make California Salmon Extinct
- The Hill- House Approves California Water Rights Bill
- Obama Administration statement on HR 1837 including veto promise
- Central Valley Business Times talks about probable veto by Obama should HR 1837 ever get that far
- SacBee editorial on HR 1837 challenges Dan Lungren
- Dan Bacher summarizes the diverse Delta opposition to HR 1837
- Washington Examiner runs a last minute editorial in support of HR 1837
- Wall Street Journal ran something similar, but you have to pay to read it
- The Contra Costa Times editorial roundly criticizing HR 1837 (also appeared in the Oakland Trib and presumably other Bay Area Newsgroup papers)
- Delta Counties Coalition letter of opposition to HR 1837
- CalTrout’s statement and letter of opposition
- SacBee’s Capitol Alert gives a scorecard
- Stockton Record just reports some facts about today’s vote
- Planning fun editorial
- The Badlands Journal tops them all with this bit of satire about the Honorable Devin Nunes
- Dan Bacher recognizes John Garamendi’s heroic role in opposing HR 1837, including Garamendi’s “Dear Colleague” letter